In the Books Section:
Discussed September 2013
By Stephen King
Buy 11/22/63 from Amazon.com
- Did you finish the book?
- Did you like the book?
- This is a very different genre than what King usually writes. What genre would you place this in and how do you think King handled it?
- What do you think of King’s time portal? Do you think there might be other portals in the world to different days/times?
- While Jake goes back to 1958 it is in 1961 that he decided he was going to stay in the past. Do you think you’d be able to live in the US in the 60’s?
- Jake does seem to wish differently later – when he wishes for 2011 technology during Sadie’s recovery = what do you think of his change?
- Did you catch the reference to the gay couple in chapter 15 section 9?
- When Jake wonders about Vince’s death - How could you know what you've changed in your current "present" just by your presence? You couldn't even go back to check because the changes would have changed the information you'd have to rely on in the future present.
- This wasn’t the first time Jake wondered about the changes he caused – when he talked to Eileen Dunning after the first time he tried to stop Frank Dunning from harming his family and round out in that timeline Harry had died young. Would you be able to tinker with time if you weren’t positive what the outcome might be?
- Jake makes the observation - "We never know which lives we influence, or when, or why. Not until the future eats the present, anyway. We know when it's too late." What do you think of this and if you knew how lives would change would you go back and try to "fix" the past?
- Foreshadowing is used a lot in this book – even in places where the characters don’t know the outcome beforehand. Do you think it’s used effectively?
- King seems to posit the idea that the past will do whatever it can to stay the same – what do you think about this idea?
- What do you think of Jake’s decision to save Sadie and giving up his original mission – to verify if Oswald was the lone shooter or not?
- What do you think of King’s theory of hunchthink?
- Do you think that Sadie and Jake remained together in the current day?
- In the afterward, King admits that he has changed some of the historical events/facts to fit the story. Did you catch the changes and what did you think of them?
- He also admits that he originally had a different ending for the book. Did anyone find it and, if so, what did you think of the previous ending vs. what ended up in the book?